The Barnyard Bible Study

A place to discuss the Bible and its implications on life as we know it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento Valley,Ca., United States

Just an every day American countryboy, constitutional federalist and God-fearing Patriot.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Onward

Chapter 4

1
And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare
Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

2

And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but
Cain was a tiller of the ground.

3

And in process
of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an
offering unto the LORD.

4

And Abel, he also brought
of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect
unto Abel and to his offering:

5

But unto Cain and to
his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance
fell.

6

And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou
wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?

7

If thou
doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at
the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

8

And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came
to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his
brother, and slew him.

9

And the LORD said unto Cain,
Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?

10

And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of
thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

11

And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to
receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;

12

When
thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a
fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

13

And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can
bear.

14

Behold, thou hast driven me out this day
from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a
fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one
that findeth me shall slay me.

15

And the LORD said
unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him
sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill
him.

16

And Cain went out from the presence of the
LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

17

And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare
Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of
his son, Enoch.

18

And unto Enoch was born Irad: and
Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.

19

And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of
the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.

20

And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of
such as have cattle.

21

And his brother's name was
Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

22

And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of
every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.

23

And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah,
Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a
man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.

24

If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.

25

And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son,
and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed
instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.

26

And to Seth, to
him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to
call upon the name of the LORD.
Genesis 5


The battle on how to be stewards of the earth is not a new one as this chapter shows. A country folk understands this better than city dwellers ever could. I could happily live as the Amish do, could you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Goat said...

Yes I ask tough questions of those deemed "wiser" than I Pastor Tim, and they are usually embarressed at their inability to answer and quietly ask me not to return to their study. How am I as believer in the Lord expected to feel and react when the clergy I have consulted won't answer my questions? I believe in the Bible not Milton or Dante though the stories they tell are powerful though way over used. You claim the mantle of Pastor and tell me to seek those wiser than myself, are you not a pastor? One wiser than myself, yet you ridicule me, why? I seek answers not criticism and comparison to nuts. This is a study not a thesis, I want to learn not teach.I seek not students but teachers, perhaps that is why I so often turn to strict Jews for guidance, Rabbi Daniel Lapin for example. Pat Robertson is a shame, Dobson is a great man. My devotion is to God, not mankind nor its leaders as they are simply men bent by the sway of the winds surrounding them. I said at the very beginning that I would present a controversial point of view in the hopes of intelletectual discourse, so far I have been attacked by a "Pastor". I am here to discuss the Good Book and I will have some "heretic" POVs, they are mine, I prefer Matthew's closet to the street. I opened this site for folks like me , believers adverse to the public churches. Believers that don't belong because of exactly what Pastor Tim showed here. I believe in the Bible and its greater message, not the minutia that can be wrangled from a single sentence thereof.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Gyrobo said...

The bible has a great message, but it's been translated and retranslated so many times over the millenia, that we have no idea what it originally said. But I assume that the original copy mentioned God, because my taxes pay his salary.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Goat said...

Robot, once again you show your ignorance, the King James Version was translated from original texts by esteemed scholars of language as much as theology. Please ask all the questions you want, perhaps Pastor Tim, our local Judge of Godliness will provide a ruling as to your worthiness to ask questions.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home