The Barnyard Bible Study

A place to discuss the Bible and its implications on life as we know it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento Valley,Ca., United States

Just an every day American countryboy, constitutional federalist and God-fearing Patriot.

Monday, October 17, 2005

The Taxpayer

Matthew as a tax collector was wealthy and could afford to follow Christ fulltime, however Jesus understood this and allowed His flock to go about their daily sustenance. As just a portion of The Sermon on the Mount, this chapter caught me, as a rebirthing Chrisian for its appeal to the personal relationship He desires with us. The entire chapter is built on that personal relationship, my variance with the Vatican, as we pray and endeavor in silence He hears us and that is all we really need to know. How does this blind faith help? It gives Hope, simple as that and so much more complicated for the simplicity. Personally my church is my garden or climbing a mountain or just watching the birds play at my feeders and now a wonderful chance to share with some virtual strangers, a quest for His guidance .

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2

Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3

But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4

That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

5

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8

Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

I use the KJV, I love the old language and its power.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

That passage in Matthew 6 really speaks to me. I made a post dedicated to this subject a while back. Here is an excerpt from that post:

The year was 1991. America had entered the first Gulf war, Operation Desert Storm. Back in Kansas City, where I was living at the time, one wealthy woman decided to support the troops in a unique way.

She went out and bought yellow ribbons. Hundreds of them. Then she wrapped them around all the trees all up and down Ward Parkway, a major thoroughfare in Kansas City, Missouri. She spent hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars. It was her way of showing support of the troops in Kuwait.

Nice gesture, huh?

Wait. There’s more to this story.

Then she called up the news media, and announced what she had done to all within radio and television tower reception distance. She became a local media darling. Soon the act of showing support took second place to the act of self aggrandizement.

Jesus said:

1.“Be careful not to do your acts of righteousness before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in Heaven.
2. So, when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
3. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.
4. So that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” -- Matthew 6:1-4 (NIV)

It has always been a pet peeve of mine when someone donates to charity and brags about it, then sits back and reaps the accolades of their peers. I have done some charitable things many times, but no one knows. No one but my ex-wife and the ones I helped, and God. And that’s the way it should be.

It is a very good thing to be charitable. And if you want rewards on Earth, it is certainly a good and honorable way to receive them. It certainly beats doing evil things for attention.

But if you want rewards from the only One that matters, keep your mouth shut about it.

I still don't see how I can sign up to be a contributor here. When I hit the I power button, I get my own dashboard and that's all. Nothing in there that will make me a contributor to someone else's blog. Sorry, but I am a techno-moron. You might have to explain it to me as if I'm a 4 year old.

Send me an e-mail and explaing it in more detail if you please. My contact info is in my blog profile.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Goat said...

Mark, the invite has been sent maybe your email filters caught it.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home